Each fly type required in this category will have a prize attached to it, so again it is possible to win a great prize without having to win the entire competition. You have to tie all five fly types.
- Deerhair grunter prawn imitation. (We’re looking for something that is creative but something that is totally fishable at the same time.)
- A Traditional wet fly. (We’re looking for a traditional quill-winged wet, like a march brown. You can tie any pattern as long as it’s a quill-winged pattern. Balance and proportion are very important.)
- A Para-RAB. (We’re looking for a Para-RAB pattern that you can put your own twist on, but essentially we’re looking for good tying technique. It must be tied on a #18 hook.)
- A Largie fly. (We’re looking for a baitfish pattern that’ll work for largemouth yellowfish.)
- A hopper pattern. (We’re looking for a fishable hopper.)
1) A 5 day hosted fly-fishing trip for 1 person to the Karoolskraal fishing camp on the Breede River. Sponsored by Fly Dot Fish (Advanced category for best deer hair prawn.)
2) A Solarez hamper sponsored by FLYZ INC (Advanced category for best Hopper).
3) A R2000 Dr Slick tying tool voucher From STEALTH (Advanced category for best Para-RAB.)
4) A fully guided and catered trip for two to the Gkhui Gkhui River Lodge on the banks of the Orange River sponsored by “Gkhui Gkhui River Lodge” and “The Fly Guides” ( Advanced category for best Largie fly.)
5) A R1500 tying material voucher sponsored by STREAM X. (Advanced category for best Traditional wet fly.)
The overall winner of this category will also take home the Floating Trophy and be crowned ‘SA Fly Tyer of the Year”